Mission & Vision
To help Guatemalan schoolchildren break the cycle of poverty through education.
CoEd accomplishes this mission by implementing sustainable textbook, computer, reading, and scholarship programs in impoverished schools. Through these programs, CoEd strives to address the root causes of poverty in Guatemala, rather than merely treating its symptoms.
We imagine a future in which every Guatemalan child:
- Stays in school.
- Receives a high-quality primary and secondary school education.
- Has access to higher levels of education and better jobs, outside of the declining agricultural sector.
- Raises his/her standard of living.
- Finds permanent pathways out of poverty.
With the help of our donors, board of directors, partners, staff, and the communities we serve, CoEd has made great progress towards achieving our goals.
But we’re not there yet.
With your help, we can continue to deliver vital educational development programs—and hope for a brighter future, beyond poverty—to communities in rural Guatemala.
- Service: Our purpose is to serve.
- Sustainability: We strive to give our programs life beyond the organization’s contribution, and we strive to give the organization life beyond any one individual’s contribution.
- Ongoing Improvement: We constantly work to improve our organization and its programs.
- Responsibility: We are good stewards of our donors’ money and the organization’s resources.
- Efficiency: We prioritize, use our time and resources wisely, and focus on what will add the most value to the organization.
- Honesty: We are honest and transparent in all of our dealings.
- Education is a basic human right and is essential to the elimination of poverty.
- Personal Development: We seek opportunities to help our staff grow personally and professionally, find balance, and enjoy our work so that we may sustain ourselves and continue to serve for the long term.
- Support: We are positive and supportive toward each other in our work and flexible and supportive in regard to each other's personal and family responsibilities.
- Tolerance: We respect everyone—every team member, beneficiary, and supporter—and we are tolerant and accepting of other’s beliefs, errors, imperfections, habits, and ways of being.