We accept NEW SCHOOL SUPPLIES:
- Writing materials: New pens, pencils, erasers, markers, crayons, rulers, or anything that U.S. schoolchildren would require. The minimum quantity we can accept is one large suitcase full.
- Sports equipment: New basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, Frisbees, playground balls.
- Everything we accept must be new. We want to preserve the dignity of the people we serve. (If you are in the Cincinnati area, used supplies can be donated locally to Crayons to Computers at 513-482-7095.)
We do NOT accept:
- Donated books in the United States. It is far more cost-effective to purchase books in Guatemala. Consider making a book donation to one of these organizations that accept donated books.
- Computers or equipment. For computer donations in the Cincinnati area, please contact Full Circle Group at (859) 907-0899. If you would like to donate a computer that is already in Guatemala, try educación libre at www.edulibre.net.
- Paper products, because of heavy weight in relation to the value of the item.
- Clothes, because we are concerned about the preservation of Mayan culture. Clothing from the U.S. undermines that preservation by replacing the traditional Mayan dress.
- Soap and shampoo. Although it is good to think of other ways to help the communities we serve, we do not want to offend them or seem condescending. The message that they would likely hear from such gifts is that we think they are dirty and could use a bath.